Saturday, March 15, 2014

Special Purpose

President Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it."  As a supervisor, this is one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing in my professional career to do.  It is not because of my distrust in the people who work for me, rather it is my built-in nature to be in control.  Truth be known, I have the most wonderful people in the world to work with and am fortunate to supervise some of the smartest and most capable people in the world.  But my thoughts here are not for the working world, although they can apply to the work world.  Rather, I am thinking more about our lives as Christians.

Have you ever thought about why God chose you?  Why did he create you and what did he create you for?  If God designed us, created us for a purpose, and chose us for a purpose, he must believe we are, "the good men to do what he wants done...".  The question is, "Are we?"  Genesis 1:27 reads, "So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."  From the very beginning, we know that God created us all and more importantly, he created us in the "his own image".  I think many times, we feel as though we are are of no value to anybody in the world and we may feel worthless.  I remember remodeling our master bedroom bathroom several years ago, and let me tell you, it took me FOREVER!  I had to gut the entire floor and one wall because of a water leak.  To this day, I walk into that bathroom and smile because I know how much work went into the finished product.  So if I took so much pride in creating a bathroom, how then must the Lord feel about us, his creation?  The book of Jeremiah tells us a little about how God feels about us in Chapter 1 verse 5 which reads, "
The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew[a] you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
“Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord."

So from what God spoke to Jeremiah, we now know that not only did God create us for a purpose, he knew us when he formed us in the womb.  In verse 8, God gives us some real encouragement when he says, "Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you."  He created us, called us to do something special, and reminds us that no matter what, he, "will rescue you"! 

My point here is that we are all created for a purpose by a God that loves you very much.  My challenge to each of you is that you will live out your lives to serve him and that others will see God through you and when in doubt, just do the right thing.  I want to leave you with a link to a YouTube video that demonstrates the power of sharing the love of Christ.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2dKOfbC9c



No comments:

Post a Comment