Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recovery: The First Step is to Admit You Have a Problem

Growing up a devout Southern Baptist, I learned at an early age there were many unwritten rules that you MUST follow in order to be a good Christian.
  1. You could only have a good relationship with Christ if you attend church Sunday morning, evening, and on Wednesday nights.
  2. You weren't truly a Christian unless you dressed like a good Christian.  This included suits, dresses, and under no circumstances were you to wear shorts.
  3. If the lost want to come to church, they know where it is.  And if they do come, they better wear decent clothes.
  4. Only Southern Gospel music, or hymns, were acceptable in Church.  Under  no circumstances were you to play or sing music that moved you.  AND, don't even think about bringing in a set of drums.  Drums were an abomination.
There are many other stories of man made rules and horror stories of being asked to leave the church because of how you dressed, looked, or talked.  But, let's talk about me.  I grew up a devout Southern Baptist and followed all of these rules; well most of them.  I was a Youth Pastor at three different churches and was witness to all three Youth programs grow.  I participated in music evangelism and was witness to countless people coming to know Christ as their personal savior.  In short, I looked like a Christian, walked like a Christian, and talked like a Christian, but I was anything but a Christian.  You see, to be a Christian, one must understand what a Christian.  Websters defines a christian as, "a person who exemplifies in his or her life the teachings of Christ" and further defines a christian as, "Disciples of Christ". 

It would be difficult for you to go to the Emergency Room and pretend to be a Doctor. Sooner than later, people will discover that you are a fake. However, if you go to Church, it is assumed you are a Christian if you look, act, and talk like a Christian and any doubts will be adamantly discussed behind your back. But nobody dare confront you about it, unless you're under the age of 18.

February 6th, 2008, I attended a revival service where the pastor preached about the Prodigal Son.Specifically, I remember the pastor reading the part of the scripture, "and while he (the son) was still far away, he (the father) saw him and ran to his son." The pastor went on to talk about how the father was waiting and watching for his son's return as indicated by the scripture passage and that our heavenly Father is waiting and watching for us to come to him.  That evening, I had a life changing experience with Christ and I asked him to become the Lord of my life.

You see, I had played church for a long time but I discovered that I was nothing more than a hollow shell.  In many cases, I was one person at church and another at work.  In my next blog, I will talk about some of the things God brought to my attention that needed to be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment